Sunday, May 17, 2009

Getting lost, using the Tube, tons of F-bombs, and being okay with it all




So Daniel missed his flight.... twice.  I tried my darndest to get him on a flight last night, but it just didn't happen.  Therefore, I was left to fend off the F-bomb dropping, concert going, wreckless driving British by my lonesome.  Getting off the plane, all I could think about was how I would be stopped at immigration.  With all the problems I had getting my Visa, it only seemed logical.  Obviously, they somehow let me in (despite my past history of alleged terrorist activities.... just joshin).  Next on the agenda: Buy a train ticket to London Victoria Station.  Ended up costing about 16 Pounds.  Picked up my luggage and headed for the train station.  This is where the "Holy mess, I'm lost in a foreign country" feeling really started to take affect.  As I wait for the train, I have this feeling that I am about to do something very, very wrong.  Being the genius that I am, I decide to ask a lady if this train will take me to London Victoria.  As suspected, I was boarding the wrong train.  With haste, I threw my 150 lbs. of luggage (exaggerated for dramatic effect) off the train and lugged it back up the stairs to find the right Platform.  Proceed to the correct train and on to London.  In comes the crazy cab drive.  It was actually pretty perfect, seeing as ALL we talked about was the sweet concerts he used to go to in London (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, etc.).  Yes, I was a bit jealous.  A 15 minute taxi ride and one musical conversation later, I was in front of Nido.  I try to check in, but my room is not clean yet.  In the down time, I figure I'll head out for a little while and stake out the area.  Seems pretty nice.  When I come back, I move into my room and grab some cash money.  I wasn't sittin around for any length of time.  E-Brock calls me up and says to meet them for lunch at The National Gallery.  ENTER, The Tube.  Now, the Tube is actually pretty simple, but the Oyster Card is confusing.  I got fed up with trying to buy a ticket with the card and just purchased one with the cash I had.  When I met up with Jill and E-Brock, we walked to a host of sights (Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, The National Gallery, saw the sight of the changing of the guards, Buckingham Palace).  All the while, I'm working on a lame egg biscuit from the flight and about 10 minutes of sleep within the past 30 hours, i.e. walking zombie.  After we eat lunch (I will post about the lunch experience later, too much for this one) I book it back to Nido for some sleep.  Post-nap, I call Camilla and meet up with her.  This about concludes the first day in the UK.  Overall, rather successful if I say so myself.

Though it has been great so far, I really felt this feeling of loneliness when I got to my room. Blessing in disguise, I am convinced.  I just had to sit down and listen to some worship music and pray.  It was awesome.  I also went on a great run this morning that gave me some inspiration.  Just reassured me that God is still with me, even when I am feeling lost and alone. Go God!

More to follow....
P.S.- Miss you K!

2 comments:

  1. JT my name starts with a C not a K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is back hooray! i wanna hear all about london!! keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete